- Majority of the offences committed by the persons are known to the victims - servant, watchman, craftsman etc.
- Criminals are generally not on police record
- Database of elderly people staying alone in the jurisdictions of various Police Stations are compiled with poor response.
- Servants information not provided to Police - fear of loosing servants
Mumbai Police with the help of Dignity Foundation, AGNI (Action for Good Governance and Networking in India) and Federation of Senior Citizens Organisation of Maharashtra is making efforts in motivating Sr. Citizens in this regard
Employ a servant after verifying his real name, native address with the help of the nearest Police Station or through the security wardens of Dignity Foundation and AGNI
- Never discuss financial matters in front of your servant
- It is always safe to deposit your valuables in safe deposit vault of any Bank
- Treat your servant in a humane way
- Do not allow any of the relatives or friends of your servant to visit your house. If at all he has any frequent visitor, get his antecedents checked from police and try to keep the number of such persons.
- Make your neighbour know of you being staying alone. The Housing Society also needs to know this.
- Use of modern security gadgets is always advantageous. Door alarm, electronic eye bell etc. is available in market. Consult the professionals in this regard
- Install a peephole in your front door and always check the identification of strangers before you let them inside your home.
- Never leave spare keys in open or in the conventional hiding places
- Verify the identity of any repairmen. Use the telephone number listed in the phone book, not the one suggested by them
- Inform your society about the unacquainted visitors, so that their identity could be checked at the very gate of the society
- A well-designed electronic alarm system attached to the office of your Housing. Society or to the watchman’s cabin would be advisable so as to send alarm signals to all simultaneously
- When you admit a workman or a salesman, do not leave him alone at any time